If you’re looking to start learning web design, the HTML & CSS For Beginners training course is for you.
HyperText Markup Language (HTML) and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) are the fundamental building blocks of modern websites, and this training course is an ideal way for those new to the world of the web to get to grips with the knowledge they will need to succeed.
Who are the HTML & CSS courses for?
The HTML & CSS for beginners courses are tried and tested by many clients over the last 5+ years, and are ideal for:
- Inhouse graphic design departments for large corporates and university staff wanting to expand their
- Graphic/print designers wanting to understand the basics of HTML and CSS to help inform their design practices
- Graphic/print designers wanting to begin building websites in technologies such as WordPress (we offer WordPress training for developers, too)
What is covered in the training session?
The training course begins with the very fundamental structuring of webpages using HTML, and gradually builds up through common elements, introducing CSS as a presentational layer later on. In doing this, delegates are able to distinguish between the presentational and structural layers of website design, and begin to build professional-quality HTML and CSS.
HTML for beginners course
- What is HTML?
- How you can use HTML to structure a document
- HTML nesting
- HTML doctypes and the differences between XHTML and HTML5
- HTML validation: ensuring HTML is correct
- HTML layouts
- HTML5 elements for beginners: article, section, aside, header, footer
- HTML forms
- ARIA roles
CSS for beginners course
- What is CSS?
- HTML IDs and classes, and how they relate to CSS
- CSS inheritance and specificity
- Basic CSS attributes
- The CSS reset
- font sizes and units
- floats and clear
- inline, inline-block and block
- clearing and grouping
- Source order in HTML
- Cross-browser compatibility
- Media queries for mobile-friendly websites
- CSS pre-processing languages (Sass is optionally covered, if desired)
The course can be run as a single day as a refresher on best practice for those already somewhat familiar with HTML and CSS, and is in a workshop-style format with plenty of examples and opportunities to try out your new-found knowledge.
Optional extras for the HTML & CSS course
You can extend the HTML and CSS Beginners’ courses outlined above by adding some or more of the following courses:
- WordPress theming for beginners
- Magento theming for beginners
About the course leader
I’ve run web design training courses for universities, large PLCs, and small, independent companies, too.
Book the HTML or CSS course
Please make contact if you would like more information and pricing on the HTML Beginners or CSS Beginners courses: we love running these and would love to help you too!